Pharmacy Technician Diploma
Finish your diploma in as few as 8 and a half months!
- Program PDF
- Pharmacy technicians help patients by preparing the medication they need to feel better. You will have the opportunity to impact people’s lives every day by preparing, counting and labeling their prescriptions, managing insurance billing and options for reimbursement, and assist in meeting their needs in a hospital setting.
- Our dedicated Pharmacy Technician labs contain equipment such as: laminar flow hoods, counting trays, ointment slabs, prescription balances, mortars and pestles, and various other learning aids. We also have interactive software to enhance the learning experience.
- Additionally, our program includes an externship where you will have the opportunity to act as a pharmacy technician first hand, working closely with patients, pharmacy technicians and other healthcare personnel. Brookline College partners with local pharmacies, hospitals and Fry’s Food Stores Pharmacy(1) and Walgreens Pharmacies to provide you with hands-on work experience.
- Complete your program in as little as 9 months.
- When you want to advance your education, you can seamlessly transfer your Diploma credits to earn an Associate’s Degree in Allied Health.
- 2,380 new Pharmacy Technician jobs will be added in Arizona from 2014-2024.(2)
- 25% growth in Arizona from 2014-2024 which is much faster than the national average for all occupations.(2)
- Compounding Pharmacies
- Radiological Compounding Labs
- Hospitals to include Unit Dose, IV infusion, and Chemotherapy
- Mail-order Pharmacies
- Pharmacy Call Centers
- Retail Stores and Grocery Stores
- Long-Term Care Pharmacies
What classes will I take?
Here are just a few classes you will take during the Pharmacy Technician program:
- Pharmacy Operations
- Body Systems
- Pharmaceutical Calculations
What are typical class hours?
Morning Classes: Start at 8:00 am and end at 12:00 pm.Current students at our Phoenix campus enjoy convenient access to our cafe, which offers a full menu of breakfast and lunch options 5 days a week.
Students also viewed
Here are just a few of the classes you will take during the Pharmacy Technician Program:
27.5 Credits – 646 Contact Hours – 34 Weeks
The Pharmacy Technician Program provides training for entry-level positions to effectively function in the role of a pharmacy technician in a hospital, pharmacy, pharmacy call center and other health care environments.
Brookline College prepares students in the Pharmacy Technician diploma program to take certification and/or licensure exams related to their program of study.
Student Learning Outcomes:
Upon completion of the Pharmacy Technician diploma program, graduates will contribute to the areas of:
- Define pharmacy and the role of the pharmacy in the healthcare system.
- Describe the pharmacy formulary system.
- Describe, apply and utilize computer applications in drug-use control.
- Explain and demonstrate the receiving and processing of medication orders and understand the correct procedures for handling medications.
- List and explain sources of drugs and drug nomenclature, the rights of medication administration as well as medication errors and ways of preventing them.
- Compare and contrast routes of administration of drugs and list factors that affect the pharmacokinetic processes in patients.
- Define biopharmaceuticals and discuss how they can impact the future of pharmacy and the practice of medicine.
- Understand and utilize medical terminology and abbreviations related to pharmacy.
- Identify and define apothecary symbols, perform basic math functions with complete accuracy then describe and apply systems of measurements.
- Convert specific measurements between different systems of measure and correctly calculate drug dosages.
- Understand and utilize the communication process by listing barriers to effective communication.
- Describe the importance of customer service and good customer relations.
- Process prescriptions and apply the basic procedures for dispensing the order and discuss pricing and reimbursement procedures.
- Describe drug absorption, distribution, metabolism, and elimination by the body.
- List diseases and abnormal conditions and evaluate pharmaceutical treatment for disorders of each body system.
Residential Program Requirements:
|Program Concentration – 27.5 Credits – 646 Contact Hours||Credit Hrs||Lecture Hrs||Lab Hrs||Practicum|
|Med A Foundations of Allied Health||4||41||40||0|
|PT Module C Pharmacy Administration and Applications||4||41||40||0|
|PT Module D Pharmaceutical Calculations||4||41||40||0|
|PT Module E Pharmacy Operations||4||41||40||0|
|PT Module F Body Systems||4||41||40||0|
|PT Module G Pharmacology||4||41||40||0|
|PT Module H Pharmacy Practicum||3.5||0||0||160|
Your education is a big investment and Brookline College believes no investment offers more potential. A new career can transform your life, and we’re here to help you make that happen.
- At Brookline College there are no hidden costs. Our tuition includes books, supplies and all fees.
- Tuition: Please call or click Request Info to determine your cost.
- Program length: 34 weeks.
- More than 88% of Brookline College students use some form of financial aid(3) to help cover the cost of their education(4). That’s why we offer personalized counseling from a Student Finance Advisor to help make your college experience more affordable.
- We have also provided The Net Price Calculator that will provide preliminary, non-binding estimates of federal, state, and institutional aid eligibility based on federal methodology.
(3) Student loans, grants and scholarships are available to those who qualify.
(4) Percentage calculated by Brookline College for the 2015-16 school year.
We want to be sure your career goals are in line with your selected program of study. Our admission process will help you understand our programs and the career expectations in the field.
Five Simple Steps:
- Visit the campus. See what Brookline and the Pharmacy Technician program is all about.
- Complete a Visitor Information Form.
- Complete a financial aid interview to develop a financial plan.
- Complete the Enrollment Agreement with an Admissions Representative to include collecting all necessary documentation.
- Meet with the Director of Education, or an appropriate Department Director to discuss any unusual enrollment circumstances or accommodations needed to successfully complete the program.
Once all requirements have been completed, the Director of Admissions, Director of Education, and Campus Director reviews the application for approval. Applicants are notified of their acceptance promptly.
Pharmacy technicians are vital to the healthcare process as they work hand-in-hand with licensed Pharmacists to help fill and dispense prescriptions, within the Technician’s scope of practice.
Our curriculum includes fully interactive test prep resources provided by either NHA or PTCB to help you build your skills and pass the certification exam with confidence. Upon completion of the Brookline Pharmacy Technician program, graduates will have the opportunity to pursue certification from the Pharmacy Technician Certification Board. Brookline’s program prepares students to sit for:
- The National Healthcareer Association ExCPT exam
- The Pharmacy Technician Certification Board PTCE exam
Brookline College partners with the National Healthcareer Association (NHA) and the Pharmacy Technician Certification Board (PTCB) to provide you with an opportunity for professional certification.
Accreditation is the recognition that an institution maintains the standards required to achieve the credentials for professional practice. It is the status granted to an institution that meets or exceeds specific criteria of educational quality as defined by the accrediting agency.
- Institutional Accreditation: Brookline College’s Phoenix, Tucson, Tempe, and Albuquerque campuses are accredited by the Accrediting Bureau of Health Education Schools (ABHES).
- Brookline College has been approved by Arizona to participate in the National Council for State Authorization Reciprocity Agreements. NC-SARA is a voluntary, regional approach to state oversight of postsecondary distance education. For more information, visit: http://nc-sara.org/
- Programmatic Accreditation: Programmatic accreditation, also known as specialized or professional accreditation, is designed for specialized departments, programs, schools, or colleges within a university or institution that has already received accreditation.
The Baccalaureate degree program in nursing and Master’s degree program in nursing are accredited by the Commission on Collegiate Nursing Education, 655 K Street NW, Suite 750, Washington DC 20001. 202-887-06791.
The BSN pre-licensure program is fully approved by the New Mexico Board of Nursing, nmbon.sks.com.
Brookline College - Phoenix Campus
2445 W Dunlap Ave
Phoenix, AZ 85021
M-Th 8:00AM – 7:00PM
F 8:00AM – 5:00PM
Brookline College - Tempe Campus
1140 S. Priest Drive
Tempe, AZ 85281
M-Th 8:00AM – 8:00PM
F 8:00AM – 5:00PM
You will know what you’re going to pay right from the beginning and it won’t change during your education. That’s our promise to you.(5)(5) Students who are required to repeat a course to fulfill graduation requirements are subject to additional expenses.
You’ll learn from qualified instructors who are committed to your success in the classroom. With small class sizes, you’ll interact closely with your faculty as they teach, coach and mentor you through your time of study.
Understanding the options you have to pay for school is important, and without help it can be overwhelming. Our staff will guide you through the process. From scholarships and grants to loans, we’re here to help you understand how to search and apply for financial aid. Learn More
After graduation, we’ll help you with your career search with everything from resume writing help to job search support to interview tips.(6)(6) Brookline College cannot guarantee employment
See through the eyes of a Brookline Nursing student!
Get a glimpse into our nursing student experience. See our classrooms, labs, and meet our students and faculty!